I’m so happy to celebrate Summa Flourish’s first birthday today! I can’t believe it’s been a year since my first blog post.
First, you have to start with the idea to have a baby. What was I thinking a year ago when Julie from Summa’s Communications Department asked me to start a blog and I said yes? I didn’t follow any bloggers. I had no idea how much work it would be. I never thought about “exposing” myself on the wide world of the Internet. In addition, I’m not the best writer in the world. But she said I was interesting…interesting? Really?
From the start, our goal was to engage women in health education and conversation. A blog was the perfect vehicle for me and my expert colleagues to connect with the one third of Americans who read blogs as well as women, who are more likely than men to search for health information online. Like an infant, we have grown but we still have much more growing to do. Look at this chart of our subscribers this past year…it’s like a child’s growth curve!
As a parent you also learn. Yes, we’ve found out some things about you, too, dear readers. Many of you are Summa employees, most of you are local and some of you are from as far as Alaska and Canada. Even my family follows (hello Helen!) and sometimes writes comments.
You also have your favorite blog posts, so here they are…
Summa Flourish’s 2010-2011 Top Ten Blogs:
- Married Virgins: I know it sounds strange, but it’s more common than you might think!
- Anorexia Nervosa: A Mother and Daughter’s Journey: Almost 10 years ago now, our then-17 year old daughter was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa.
- Hot Flashes!: Menopause, also called “the change of life” or “the climacteric” will affect all of us women at some point! Yes, every single one of us.
- If There Was Something You Could Do To Reduce Your Risk of Cancer, Would You Do It?: Since March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month, we are shouting from the rooftops to everyone older than fifty to get a colonoscopy!
- 8 Sex Questions You’re Too Embarrassed to Ask: A colleague of ours – Kimberly Resnick Anderson, the director of the Summa Center for Sexual Health – was recently interviewed by Woman’s Day magazine for an article about the sex questions you’re too embarrassed to ask.
- The Wall St. Journal Highlights Summa’s Labor and Delivery Safety: At Summa Health System, we are proud to be a national leader in labor and delivery safety, with the well-being of both the mother and infant central to everything we do.
- Puberty Can Even Stump This OB/GYN: Navigating your daughter through the challenges of menstruation can be tricky, even for an OB/GYN like me. This is especially true when it comes to learning to use tampons.
- Baby’s First Text Message: If there’s a pregnant lady in your life, get ready to email her this one. This week Summa launched a free educational text messaging program for moms-to-be. The service delivers weekly health-related messages based on a woman’s due date and stage of pregnancy.
- Pass It On: It is anticipated when you work in an organization as large as the Summa Health System that growth and development are inevitable. In fact, growth is good.
- Being a Working Mom: It is human nature to work. Some say you can’t be a good mother and a good worker. My mother worked while raising us kids- and she was great at both. I believe it is possible that one enhances the other making us better as a whole.
So, happy birthday, blog! It’s been an adventure. Thank you, readers, for staying with us, commenting on our posts with your stories and questions and allowing us to share important health information with you.
BTW, Julie now wants me to start tweeting! What do you think?